After Peacock Room
This café is named and modeled after Harmony in Blue and Gold: The Peacock Room, which was created by James McNeill Whistler in 1877 as the dining room for Fredrick Richards Leyland, a wealthy shipowner in England and leading patron of Whistler’s work. The Peacock Room was purchased by Charles Lang Freer and eventually installed in the Freer Art Gallery here in D.C.
The design of this café is a modern interpretation of The Peacock Room. The color scheme of prussian blue, deep green, black, and gold reflects the original coloring of The Peacock Room as well as the natural coloring of a peacock. Large pieces of canvas were installed on the walls of the café and painted with brilliant oil paints in these tones. Steel rods covered with gold spray paint can be found along the room as well, providing the space with strong vertical lines. The dining room in the back of the café—the Hawthorn Flower Room—is inspired by blue china. The original Peacock Room displayed Leyland’s collection of Chinese blue and white porcelain and Whistler himself was an avid collector of blue china. The prussian blue tones are reminiscent of the china collection, and accents of gold-colored hawthorn flowers—a common pattern found on the china—lighten the room.